I have been a hobbyist writer for a few years now, enjoying writing flash and short fiction - and the very odd poem.
I'm on the committee for the Poised Pen writing group in Liverpool and get involved through their meetings and helping them with the Twittering, Newsletter and producing the 2014 Anthology 'Half Baked' and the Frightening Flash Fiction Competition Anthology 2014 - both of which you can get for your Kindle via Amazon.
As well as being a member of The Poised Pen I'm also one of the founder pack of Flash Fiction writers known as the Flash Dogs. We have released our first anthology - imaginatively titled 'Flash Dogs: An Anthology' for the Kindle and now available in paperback - and it is fabulous.
I have won a few Flash Fiction challenges (listed below).
I've read some of my writings at Liverpool's Dead Good Poets Society, at Writing on the Wall Flash Fiction events at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall and at Dragons Pen at the Bluecoat (both 2013).
Check out the great art work for the Flash Dogs Anthology Vol.#1 below, produced by @tamrogers
I'm proud to have won some great Flash Fiction writing challenges in:
- Race the Date (January 2014)
- Flash! Friday Fiction (April 2014)
- Thursday Threads (Twice: December 2014 and January 2015)
- Finish That Thought (December 2014)
- Luminous Creatures 'Winter of Whimsy & Wyrdness'- (two stories Nov & Dec which feature in a chapbook/Kindle book)
- Paragraph Planet - twice
500 Words of Magic
I've had Runner-Ups and Honourable Mentions in:
- Angry Hourglass
- Race the Date
- Flash Fiction Friday
- Mid Week Blues Buster.
- I got down to a short list to win a story writing competition for Jura Whisky in 2013 - which was most exciting.
A review I did of the 2013 Liverpool International Festival of Psychedelia is on the Subba-cultcha website, which you can find by clicking here.
I've had a piece published in the Sirens Call ezine - 'Sriptum in Morte' (December 2014).
Having won Finish That Thought I've also been a judge for the FTT challenge (16 Dec, 2014) and shared the judging for Flash Friday Fiction with @fallintofiction in November 2014, which were both interesting experiences.
To date my only poetry claim to fame is having a poem about one of my favourite pubs (The Caledonia) displayed at the pub.
Thanks to the four anthologies I have an Author page on Amazon, which is quite cool in its way.
I've put together a few real ale walks taking in Liverpool, Manchester, St.Helens and Rugby and Hull.
Looking to do some walks for other towns too, which will probably include nearby Chester, Huddersfield. Sheffield, Shrewsbury and Ludlow. I've now started a blog site on Wordpress called Scrawling Home to use for almost live updates from pubs, brewery trips etc. Could get out of hand for me and my friends.
Photo's and Twitter
I have removed my photo galleries from this site as I have a comprehensive Flickr account with thousands of photos all lovingly uploaded into neat folders - including Music, Mexico, Costa Rica, India, California, Football, and Beer - so if you are interested in some pictures rather than words then head on over to my Flickr page.
I am a Twitter obsessive and you can find me on there @zevonesque discussing in 140 characters pretty much the same passions expressed on here with a few more thrown in for good measure.
Photos - lots of them - are on my Flickr page
Twitter mutterings* can be found here
Twittering on Real Ale in Liverpool can be found here
* but be warned there may be swearing - especially where related to football
All views expressed on this website are my own of course. Who else's?
1. A calm morning on Ullswater in the Lake District.
2. Football and beer two of my favourite things. John Aldridge and me at the Liverpool Beer Festival 2013 (I'm the one on the right).
3. The Caledonia home from homely
4. Made it to the Acropolis. Eventually.
5. Real ale at the Rail Ale Festival in Dinas in May 2013.
6. European Football Weekend 2009 in Netherlands and Germany.
7. Glass butterflies in Malaysian Borneo.
8. Another Place, Antony Gormley at Crosby Beach